Tuesday, August 23, 2011

All I need is my Jesus cap !


Scripture 
1 Corinthians 13:3
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Luke 10:27
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

1 John 4:16
16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

Observation
In Luke 10:27, Jesus reminds us of the greatest commandments. If we needed to describe these commandments with just one word, it would be…….love. In 1 John 4:16, we are reminded that God is love. It is repeated so many times in the Bible. It is an eternal value that trumps all spiritual gifts, even beating out faith and hope (1 Corinthians 13:3).

Application:

One of my favorite books that I loved to read growing up, is “Caps for Sale”. It’s the story of a peddler that walked throughout town wearing 17 caps of different colors. His caps got stolen by some monkeys as he took a nap, under a tree. While I used to get mad at the monkeys when I was young reading the book, I realized now as a much older (or old person !) that the monkeys actually did him a favor! You see I can wear a lot caps myself. My work cap, my family cap, my ministry cap, etc. But, the only cap that really matters is my Jesus cap. The tough part is that these other caps seem to battle with my Jesus cap for first position on my head. I should wear just one, but I often find myself trying to wear them all and at times I fail.

One of the best things I can do to make sure my Jesus caps reigns supreme, is to remember who I am. I am a Christian, and If I truly wear Christ, I exhibit the most important trait of a Christian. Love. This love cannot be based on convenience or selfish motives. It must be real, and it needs to be demonstrated by the way that I live.

Prayer:

Dear Lord, please forgive me for times when I forget who I am. I wear so many caps and I fail to realize that only one cap is needed. That cap has your name on it. The name that is written on that cap also is the same name that is written on my heart….Jesus. Lord, please remind me, steer me back when I forget my identity. I need to not just be one who knows who I am, I need to help others to discover their true identity in you as well.

Amen

2 comments:

  1. Great devotion Paul. It reminded me of my own battles at work and ministry.

    Often times simplifying our lives can bring peace, focus, and increased effectiveness.

    By retiring some of our hats, and being focused on the one "Jesus" hat, we can do all things through Christ.

    All I have to do is remember that! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to read that book! :) Thanks Paul!

    ReplyDelete